Installing new fencing can be a significant home improvement project. When choosing fencing for your property, Colorbond is one of the most popular options. But how much does Colorbond fencing cost? What factors affect the pricing? This will cover everything you need to estimate Colorbond fence installation costs including a rough cost guide, including labour cost.
An Overview of Colorbond Fencing
Colorbond steel fencing is one of the most common types of fencing used across Australia today. Colorbond is a pre-coated steel product made by BlueScope. It comes in fencing sheets that can be assembled into strong, durable boundary and privacy fences.
Colorbond offers advantages including strength, attractive looks, and a long lifespan. It requires minimal maintenance compared to natural timber fencing. Colorbond fencing is also cost-effective, making it a great choice for all types of properties. With various colors and panel styles available, it can suit any style home or landscape design.
Colorbond Fencing Prices: What is the Cost per Metre of Colorbond Fencing?
The cost of Colorbond fencing per metre ranges widely, typically from $80 to $180+ per linear metre installed. Plain Colorbond fence panels often start around $100 per metre including installation. More complex styles with lattice, screens or decorative elements can cost $150-250 per m or more.
Keep in mind these Colorbond fence prices per metre represent professional installation quotes. If you DIY the project, the material costs will be cheaper at around $50-100 per metre. But factor in the tools, equipment, skills and labour required. Hiring a qualified fencing contractor usually gives the best results.
What Factors Affect the Cost of Colorbond Fencing?
Many variables affect the total price when installing a Colorbond fence. Key factors that influence Colorbond fencing costs include:
- Fence height – Shorter 1.2 to 1.5m high fences cost less than tall 2m privacy fences due to less materials needed.
- Lineal metre length – Long spans are more affordable per metre than short fence lengths. Quotes account for efficiencies with longer jobs.
- Surface preparation – Removing old fencing and vegetation or leveling terrain will add costs versus installing on flat, clear land.
- Access issues – Limited access like small gates or steep sites makes delivery and installation harder and pricier.
- Fence style – Simple, standard Colorbond is cheapest. Added screens, slats, gates or architectural patterns increase costs.
- Regional labour rates – Installation costs are generally higher in remote, rural or premium metro areas.
- Supply availability – Material shortages can drive costs up. Prices also vary between different distributors.
- Sales and specials – Watch for seasonal sales around Christmas or other promotions to save on Colorbond.
What is Included in a Typical Colorbond Fence Installation?
A full professional Colorbond fence installation typically includes:
- Site measure and quoting
- Demolishing and removing any old fencing
- Levelling the ground or constructing a retaining wall if needed
- Supplying all posts, panels, rails, fittings and gates
- Digging post holes and concreting in posts
- Assembling panels and gates and fitting all hardware
- Cleaning up debris and disposal of old materials
- Any permits for municipal boundaries
Leading fencing companies also offer multi-year workmanship warranties. DIY projects require sourcing all your own materials and doing the hard work yourself.
How to Choose a Colorbond Fencing Contractor
Choosing the right fencing contractor makes a big difference in getting quality Colorbond fencing at a fair price. Here are tips for selecting local installers:
- Look for an established company with excellent customer reviews and ratings.
- Ask to see examples of their Colorbond fencing work.
- Get a detailed written quote outlining exactly what is included.
- Choose a fencer that offers guarantees on their materials and workmanship.
- Ask lots of questions and go with someone responsive and transparent.
- Find out how long installation will take and what to expect on the day.
- Get references from other customers before signing a contract.
Hiring a top-rated professional for the job typically adds value compared to the small savings of DIY-ing fence installation.
How Long Does a Colorbond Fence Last?
One of the biggest benefits of Colorbond fencing is the exceptional lifespan. Colorbond steel is guaranteed for up to 25 years against corrosion damage.
With proper maintenance, a Colorbond fence can last 15-25 years or longer before major repairs or replacement are needed. Ensure proper care and your Colorbond fence will provide security and privacy for decades to come.
5 Styles of Colorbond Fencing for Your Property
There are numerous Colorbond designs and configurations to suit your unique property and landscaping tastes:
- Standard paling fences – The classic straight Colorbond fence up to 2.4m high. A timeless, affordable choice.
- Stepped fences – Paling heights vary creating visual interest. Allows airflow and light through.
- Lattice screens – Colorbond lattice style panels provide semi-privacy while allowing light and air flow. An attractive, decorative look.
- Slatted screens – Alternating solid and vented slats let in cooling breezes. Maintains privacy and a modern style.
- Pool fencing – Glass fencing or lattice pool fences satisfy safety regulations while complementing outdoor aesthetics.
Is Colorbond Fencing Easy to Install?
Colorbond steel fencing is relatively straightforward for experienced DIYers to install. But the heavy panels and extensive concrete post-setting can make it challenging.
Most homeowners hire professionals to handle the difficult parts like:
- Digging deep post holes through dirt or rock
- Lifting and fitting heavy Colorbond sheets
- Getting clean, plumb cuts for precise alignments
- Gate installations and hardware adjustments
Unless you have building experience, equipment, and helpers, leave the complex fence installation to the experts. DIY is possible for simpler repairs or short sections. But overall there are good reasons Colorbond fence installation is its own skilled trade.
Q: How much does Colorbond fencing cost?
A: The cost of Colorbond fencing can vary depending on several factors such as the length of the fence, the height of the fence, the style of Colorbond panels chosen, any decorative top panels, and the location of your property. On average, the cost of Colorbond fencing ranges from $80 to $100 per metre.
Q: What are the factors that affect the cost of Colorbond fencing?
A: The factors that can affect the cost of Colorbond fencing include the length of your fence, the height of the fence, the style and design of Colorbond panels you choose, the presence of any decorative top panels, the location of your property, and the cost of labor in your area.
Q: How much does a professional fencing contractor charge to install Colorbond fencing?
A: The cost charged by professional fencing contractors for installing Colorbond fencing can vary depending on various factors such as the size of your fencing project, the complexity of the installation, and the location of your property. On average, professional fencing contractors may charge around $100 per hour for Colorbond fence installation.
Q: How much does it cost to have a Colorbond fence per panel?
A: The cost of a Colorbond fence per panel can vary depending on the height and style of the panels chosen. On average, Colorbond fence panels can cost between $80 to $100 per panel.
Q: What are the different Colorbond fencing styles available?
A: Colorbond fencing offers a range of styles to choose from, including the standard panel style, lattice-look panels, slat-style panels, and decorative top panels. Each style has its own unique design and aesthetic appeal.
Q: Can I install Colorbond fencing myself?
A: While it is possible to install Colorbond fencing yourself, it is recommended to hire a professional fence installer for the best results. Professional fencing contractors have the experience and tools necessary to ensure a proper and secure installation.
Q: What should I do with my old fence before installing Colorbond fencing?
A: Before installing Colorbond fencing, it is advisable to remove your old fence. You can either do this yourself or hire a professional fence removal service to take care of it. Removing the old fence will create a clean and suitable space for installing your new Colorbond fence.
Q: How long does it take to install a Colorbond fence?
A: The time it takes to install a Colorbond fence can vary depending on the size of the project and the experience of the installer. On average, it can take anywhere from a few hours to a couple of days to complete the installation process.
Q: What materials are used in Colorbond fencing?
A: Colorbond fencing is made from high-quality steel materials that are specifically designed for durability and strength. The steel panels are coated with a protective layer of Colorbond paint, which provides resistance to harsh weather conditions and helps maintain the fence’s appearance over time.
Q: Can Colorbond fencing be used for boundary fencing?
A: Yes, Colorbond fencing is commonly used for boundary fencing. It provides a secure and stylish solution for separating properties while offering privacy and protection.
The Bottom Line – Expect to Pay Around $100-$250 per Metre
The total cost to install a Colorbond fence can vary substantially based on the variables above. But on average, you can expect to pay in the range of:
- $100 – $150 per lineal metre for standard 1.8m high Colorbond with post spacing up to 2.5m
- $150 – $250+ per lineal metre for taller privacy fences or more complex styles
- $50 – $100+ per linear metre for materials if self-installing
Always get detailed quotes for your specific job from multiple fencing contractors. Look at the full costs over the lifetime of a fence, not just bottom line price. With proper installation, your new Colorbond fence should provide lasting security and curb appeal for years to come.
To recap the key points:
- Colorbond steel fencing costs around $100-$250 per metre fully installed
- Final cost depends on fence height, length, style, site conditions and more
- Hiring a professional typically delivers better quality and value
- Look for an established fencing company with excellent reviews
- Higher initial cost is worth it for an experienced, durable Colorbond fence install
So if you’re looking to fence your property, Colorbond is one of the most secure, low-maintenance, and cost-effective options to consider. Get in touch with trusted local fencing contractors to get a quote on a new Colorbond fence that will enhance your property for decades.